1 the general state of things; the combination of circumstances at a given time; "the present international situation is dangerous"; "wondered how such a state of affairs had come about"; "eternal truths will be neither true nor eternal unless they have fresh meaning for every new social situation"- Franklin D.Roosevelt [syn: state of affairs]
2 a condition or position in which you find yourself; "the unpleasant situation (or position) of having to choose between two evils"; "found herself in a very fortunate situation" [syn: position]
3 a complex or critical or unusual difficulty; "the dangerous situation developed suddenly"; "that's quite a situation"; "no human situation is simple"
4 physical position in relation to the surroundings; "the sites are determined by highly specific sequences of nucleotides" [syn: site]
5 a job in an organization; "he occupied a post in the treasury" [syn: position, post, berth, office, spot, billet, place]
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
- The way in which something is positioned vis-à-vis its
- 1908: Kenneth
The Wind in the Willows
- ...he being naturally an underground animal by birth and breeding, the situation of Badger's house exactly suited him and made him feel at home; while the Rat, who slept every night in a bedroom the windows of which opened on a breezy river, naturally felt the atmosphere still and oppressive.
- 1908: Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows
- The place in which something is situated; a location.
- Position or status with regard to conditions and circumstances.
- The combination of circumstances at a given moment; a state of affairs.
- A position of employment; a post.
position vis-à-vis surroundings
- Finnish: sijainti
- German: Lage
- Japanese: 状態, 状況, 境遇
- Russian: расположение, положение, ситуация
one's status with regard to circumstances
state of affairs
position of employment
- Finnish: työpaikka, tehtävä, asema
- German: Stellung
- Greek: θέση εργασίας (thési ergasías)
- Russian: положение, должность
- Source for the definitions:
- Dictionary.com. The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/situation (accessed: March 10, 2007).
Nounsituation (plural: situations)
- ''For a definition of the word 'situation', see situation.
On August 7th, Pitchfork media announced that Strange Famous Records would be releasing Situation in the US. http://pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/44702-buck-65-explains-new-1957-themed-album-isituationi Skratch Bastid also confirmed that they had already finished a version of the album that was sample-heavy that they were afraid to release. This is the reason for the album's release date being pushed back. He also said information that would lead to believe that they would leak the original version of the album the day after the new version's official release date.
The song "1957" makes reference to various events in the year 1957, including the birth of punk rocker Sid Vicious, the relocation of the Brooklyn Dodgers to Los Angeles, the apprehension of serial killer Ed Gein, the obscenity trial surrounding the Allen Ginsberg poem "Howl", and the death of Humphrey Bogart. Some events mentioned in the song did not actually occur in 1957: the marriage of Arthur Miller to Marilyn Monroe and the release of the film Invasion of the Body Snatchers both happened in 1956. The song begins identically to the beginning of the poem "Howl": "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed", but differs lyrically from that point.
- "Intro" (1:40)
- "1957" (3:57)
- "Dang" (2:38)
- "Lipstick" (3:08)
- "Shutter Buggin'" (3:27)
- "Spread 'Em" (2:50)
- "Ho-Boys" (3:46)
- "Way Back When" (3:32)
- "Cop Shades" (4:07)
- "The Beatific" (3:16)
- "Mr. Nobody" (3:02)
- "The Rebel" (3:15)
- "Benz" feat. Cadence Weapon (2:32)
- "Heatwave" (2:59)
- "The Outskirts" (3:12)
- "White Bread" (4:00)
- "Way Back When" (k-os Remix) (3:36) — Bonus track on some versions
Anschauung, abode, alentours, allocation, ambience, ambit, angle, angle of vision, appointment, area, assignment, bargain, basis, bearings, bench mark, berth, billet, borderlands, capacity, case, character, circle, circuit, circumambiencies, circumjacencies, circumstance, circumstances, collocation, compass, condition, connection, context, deployment, deposit, deposition, disposition, district, emplacement, employment, engagement, entourage, environing circumstances, environment, environs, estate, eye, fix, footing, frame of reference, framework, gestalt, gestation, gig, gravidity, habitat, hole, incumbency, jam, job, kettle of fish, lading, latitude and longitude, lieu, light, loading, locale, locality, localization, locating, location, locus, lot, mental outlook, milieu, modality, mode, moonlighting, neighborhood, office, opening, outlook, outposts, outskirts, packing, pass, perimeter, periphery, pickle, picture, pinpoint, pinpointing, place, placement, placing, plight, point, point of view, position, positioning, post, posting, posture, precincts, predicament, purlieus, putting, rank, reference system, regard, region, reposition, respect, second job, service, setting, side, sight, site, situs, slant, spot, spotting, stand, standing, standpoint, state, state of affairs, station, stationing, status, status quo, stead, storage, stowage, suburbs, surroundings, system, tenure, total environment, universe, vacancy, vicinage, vicinity, view, viewpoint, where, whereabout, whereabouts